11/29/09

Thanksliving

The older I get, the more I think I could write a list about a mile long of everything I am thankful for. I would start by thanking the Lord for the people who love me and challenge me to live life to the fullest, the trials that come as a result of living in this fallen world that only teach me to cling more tightly to my faithful God, the opportunity to grasp how high and wide and long and deep is the love of Christ and to know that His loving sacrifice raised me to life.

Good health, physical provisions, my wonderful husband and my amazing children would be high on the list, not to mention life lessons, music, waterfalls, daily mercies, my church family, laughter, sunshine, and my amazing friendships. I could go on, but you get the idea.

The more I live, the more I realize this simple truth: everything I have was given to me. I did not achieve it, I did not will it into being, I had nothing to do with it's existence in my life. James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." Everything we possess in any capacity has been given to us by a good God who loves to give good gifts to His children. And He is an extravagant giver. All we have to do is receive.

My challenge to each of us this Thanksgiving is that we would take it a step further, that we would respond to the generosity of our God by giving of ourselves. Showing the same mercy to others that God has shown to us. Offering ourselves as a living sacrifice as Jesus offered Himself as the ultimate sacrifice. Lavishing blessing as we have been lavished upon. Loving as we have been loved. Giving thanks not just with our lips but with our very lives. ThanksLiving. How about it? Happy Thanksliving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment