10/21/09

My Life-Plan

Beginning, with the end in mind. “finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me” Acts 20:24 “Then He added, “Every teacher of religious law who becomes a disciple in the Kingdom of Heaven is like a homeowner who brings from his storeroom new gems of truth as well as old” Matthew 13:52 is my life verse. It reminds me that I have the balance of three wonderful privileges, learning God’s Word, as a life-long learner, Obeying God’s Word, as a adopted Child of the King, His disciple and sharing God’s Word, as the homeowner who brings forth from his storeroom new gems of Truth as well as the old.

The teacher or scribes were people dedicated to preserving and proclaiming God’s Truth, Ezra 7:10. Eph 1:16-23 “I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know Him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of His mighty strength, which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under His feet and appointed Him to be head over everything for the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills every thing in every way.” I desire and long to be a diligent student of the Word, not like the scribes; “Woe to you experts in the law,” “because you have taken away the key to knowledge” Luke 11:52 “I want to know Him better” I want to know and see Jesus, and I want others to know Him better. I desire to be a life-long learner and teacher.

According to my life verse, we are also supposed to become disciples. The truth that we learn must be the truth that we live. Disciples learn, not just by listening, they learn by obeying. We must practice what we have been taught. James 1:22 “Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” Be imitators of the Word. We don’t really “know” a truth until we have put it into practice. Success means becoming who God wants us to be. 2 Cor 12:9 “Your work is to be faithfully devoted to Him.” I define success as being a fully devoted flawed follower of Christ, a work in progress.

It is not just the arrival at a destination, but also the journey it took to get there. Real success starts right now, and it continues every day that you live. It is in the day-to-day decisions that you make. Every area of your life must belong to Him.

The image of the householder isn’t too difficult to understand. “Therefore, share what you know with others.” Luke 6:38 We can’t give to others what we don’t have ourselves, but if we don’t share it, we won’t retain it. We keep truth by obeying it and then teaching it to others. “give and it will be given to you.” The new grows out of the old. Jesus didn’t come to destroy the old but to fulfill it. In the kingdom of God, the newness comes, by renewing and transforming of the old. This is what makes becoming a disciple interesting, challenging, and exciting. Eccl 3:5 Solomon writes: “Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before” Few things thrill me more as I learn and grow is when I find new combinations of spiritual truths, together with relevant ways to communicate that truth.

This is why I have chosen Matthew 13:52 as my life verse. I want to be a bridge builder between the never changing spiritual truths of the past by communicating in relevant ways to impact the present, to prepare this next generation for the things to come. I want to be a modern day Ezra who “devoted himself to the study, and disciple of the Law of the Lord, by teaching, connecting and communicating spiritual truths.

As I begin this process of unpacking my life plan, and I say begin, because I believe it will always be in a rough draft setting because I will be forever adding new and refining the old. Living with the end in Mind. Some people are natural goal-setters and some aren’t. I am convince that one of the reasons we don’t accomplish more for the kingdom of God is because we don’t have any God-ordained goals we are pursuing. Prov 29:18 “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” Vision is a bigger picture perspective. We have to know where we are going in order to know how to get there. As I enter into this new season of life, I needed a time to re-evaluate, re-assess my purpose I realize that all along my calling and purpose has been the same. Revelation: I am a bridge builder. I have always been a bridge builder. Rom 8:28 “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” My past has held the key to unlock the purpose for the future. As I took an intentional walk through the journey of my life it became very clear that from the beginning God planted a passion in my heart to fight for the family. My driving desire to bridge the communication gap between husband and wife, between parent and child and between people and God.
“My purpose calling is to build bridges, to connect, and to communicate truth, by equipping and interceding for the empowerment of families.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love it Kim. If ever there was a time to bridge the generations and intercede for the family it is now. I am grateful to know you and your heart for families.

    ReplyDelete